Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Truth in Advertising & Self fulfilling Prophecy

So I've been on the east coast for just about a month now. It has definitely been interesting. I got here, and right away I met a guy. He seemed great. Great job, funny, romantic, very sweet. I was really enjoying spending time with him. But then I began realizing, we were spending EVERY day or night together. I'm sorry, but I can't do that kind of time with anyone. The bonus of this all was that I was meeting his friends. A couple of great guys that are just super fun to hang out with. Well, apparently that did not go over too well with this guy. Especially that his one friend and I got along so well. He (the guy) and his roommate were convinced that the friend and I would hook up.

Well, the more time I began spending with this guy (the one I'd been dating), the more I realize, wow, he's really not all that bright. Team that up with the fact that he seems to have a bit of a temper, and that's just a combination I'm not willing to deal with. Do I want a chivalrous man that will look out for me? Yes. Do I want a guy who thinks that any look my way is a threat to him? NO WAY.

Sure enough all of this came to a "conclusion" last week. The guy and I had a little bit of a fight because I decided I needed to spend some time at home, with my dog, taking care of my place, and not at his place drinking with him and his friends. Well one of the friends said I should come join all of them later that evening (this was a Sunday, fight - Sunday morning, bar-Sunday evening) at the bar across from my apartment. I go, and things seem normal, but there's definitely some tension between us. I continue to have fun with everyone there, and even go to stay with the guy that night.

Fast forward to Wednesday of last week (3 days later). I have not heard from the boy in 3 days. His roommate is asking if I've talked to him, and so are his friends. I let them know that I have not, but that I assume this is a test in stubbornness, 'cause I was not about to be the first to break, and call him. Sure enough I hear through the grape-vine that he and his roommate are drinking at the bar across the street, and they are wasted. A couple hours later, the boy calls. He proceeds to get mad at me for not calling him (bare in mind he hasn't called either), and just gets mad about nothing, and keeps going on about how it was a bad idea to call.

So of course, who is the first person I call? His friend (the one I get along with). He just laughs and says "That's Mike for ya..." Well we get to talking about what everyone is supposed to do that weekend, and I find out everyone (excluding me) is supposed to be headed to the friend's house down on the island. Well, he wants nothing to do with this so we decide he'll pick me up from the airport on Friday night, and we'll go out. We have a great time! Finally, I've gone out with no drama, and a MUCH smaller bar tab (did I mention this kid I dated lost his job a week in to seeing him, but he wanted me to fund his NIGHTLY dinner's and drinks out?). During this weekend of fun, all the truths start coming out about the (now-ex) guy. Turns out his military past, doesn't really exist; that great job he had, well, wasn't so great. Turns out just about everything he said was a lie. The friend proceeds to tell me (but I already knew) that Mike was trying to hit on girls all the time when we were out. To which I responded, "yeah, I know...Why do you think I wouldn't take my hand out of his?"

Moral of the story...What do you think the second half of the title (self fulfilling prophecy) means? ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa ... this dude sounds like Scottsdale!!!